You’ll very likely be too busy to sit down for a meal midday. Those snacks better be good!
By Bracha Kopstick
Snacks are an important part of every day. They help us reach our nutrient requirements, and keep us full during the day so we don’t overeat at meals.
Pesach is even more important to pack the right snacks, because it’s tough to find food once you’ve left the house.
Here’s a handy list of transportable snack ideas that are healthy and filling. When choosing snacks, try to have foods from 2 or more food groups to get a really nutritious punch!
What are some of your go-to snacks?
- Yogurt and sliced fruit (bananas are great!)
- Yogurt with nuts & berries
- Frozen yogurt tubes
- String cheese
- Cottage cheese and berries
- Baked sweet potato chips/fries with plain Greek yogurt
- Sliced cucumbers with hard cheese
Meat & Alternatives:
- Deviled eggs
- Hardboiled eggs
- Egg and vegetable “muffins”- bake eggs and veggies in a muffin tins
- Vegetable and meat kebabs (kids can put these together themselves onto the sticks)
- Cucumber tuna cups (cut 1 inch slices and remove some cucumber and stuff with tuna)
- Apple slices with nut butter
- Roasted nuts and dried fruits (look for dried fruit without added oil or sugar)
- Chicken nuggets
- Turkey roll ups
- Ants on a log (celery, nut butter, and raisins or chocolate chips)
- Sliced vegetables with tuna
- Salmon lettuce “wraps”
Fruits & Vegetables:
- Fresh fruit
- Apples chips
- Roasted acorn squash rings
- Baby tomatoes
- Hearts of palm spears
- Applesauce containers (look for unsweetened)
- Homemade fruit leather
- Guacamole with sliced veggies
- Baked potato wedges
[small_title title=”About Bracha:”]
Bracha Kopstick is a Registered Dietitian in Toronto and owner of BeeKay Nutrition. She takes the “diet” out of dietitian, and wants you to take it out of your life! As a nutrition expert, Bracha promotes eating home prepared foods more often and taking time to enjoy what you eat without any associated guilt. She is available for in-person or online counselling. Connect with Bracha on Instagram; @beekay_rd, Facebook; BeeKay Nutrition, or check out her website www.beekaynutrition.com .