Raise your hand if this sounds like you: You go to your storage closet and it’s messy AGAIN!
What is with storage closets that they don’t just STAY that way, possibly more so than any other space in your home?
Until you get down to the bottom of WHY it’s not maintaining well, it’s going to happen again and again.
So here are a few points to help you understand how storage works so you’ll get that place tidied up in no time:
- Name the space. Decide what kind of things you will be storing there and store ALL of those things in there.
- Storage isn’t hidden clutter. Make sure you aren’t putting clutter there. Only things that you really think YOU will use (not “Maybe ‘someone’ will need it?”).
- Accessibility. It’s important to make sure that everything is accessible according to how often you use it. Adding shelving to a storage closet can help you be able to retrieve just what you need without taking down the whole tower of bins (#ifyouknowyouknow) A freestanding shelving unit is a great affordable option.
- Visibility. We all know Murphy’s Law: You’ll find the Chanukah box a week after Chanukah! Making sure each bin is visible from the outside of the closet with large labels so you can see it. This is the label maker that accommodates the larger labels.
- Keep like things together. Example: All hosting objects on one shelf or in one bin. Using uniform bins makes it not only pleasing to the eye but also easier to put things away ( No more playing Tetris!)
- Maintenance. Storage closets need maintenance from time to time. That’s normal.
If you are feeling overwhelmed by organizing your storage closet, start with the easy. Pull out a few things that you know what to do with. That will get you started to get the entire job done from start to finish! Happy Organizing!
FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES, MAKE SURE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP STATUS HERE.