The teenage years are the hardest time for a girl to maintain her skin. This is the way to start!
The first most important tip for a teen to know is to keep up with maintenance. Whenever a teen breaks out, it’s usually sleep or stress-related from hormones. You can’t really get down to the root of the problem, but regular maintenance will help active breakouts clear up more quickly. Be conscientious about cleaning and moisturizing your face every morning and night.
Once your teen is ready to maintain, here is what she needs to know:
- Girls tend to overclean their face using products with alcohol which dry out the face. If you use products to dry out pimples but you don’t put moisture back in, your face will overproduce oil. So what to do?
* If you have dry skin, use a mild cleaner and moisturizer when cleaning like this one.
* If skin is very dry, you can also use a complimenting moisturizer cream.
* If you have naturally oily skin, you need to dry it out without stripping the skin of its natural barrier using a product like this one instead. Antiseptic for skin, such as witch hazel, will help kill bacteria. Witch hazel will tighten pores and dry out the oil without stripping the face. Products with tea tree oil like this one will also be helpful.
- Don’t focus on the breakouts. They will clear up when the body learns how to manage stress. After age 17-18, you don’t break out so often from stress as the hormones balance out. Just keep up with the maintenance and you’ll be great long term.
- If your skin is really bad, see a dermatologist.
* Blackheads can get infected and become pimples; a facial can really help with that.
- Sunscreen is very important, especially when you’re younger! It’s not only for your health but also for healthy-looking skin! You don’t see the damage that’s done to your skin when you’re young. As you get into your 30s, you’ll start to see damage to the skin from not using sunscreen. You’ll wrinkle quicker and skin will start losing its elasticity. It does make a difference, but by the time you notice it’s too late.
These are the products I recommended above: