Tired of cabbage salads and slaw? This version makes cabbage salad exciting, crunchy, and memorable.
Mrs. Ort is known for her amazing food, which she generously doles out to all her nearest and dearest. The last time I visited my hometown, she stopped by on Friday afternoon with some of her delights, one of which was this cabbage salad. She prepared all the dry ingredients and left us the dressing on the side, so we mixed it all up and served it at the Shabbos meal. It was gone in record-breaking time. Not able to get the flavor out of my mind, I stalked Mrs. Ort for the recipe and served it in an attempt to show off when my “foodie” sister-in-law came over a few weeks later for a Shabbos seudah. I knew it was a success when we had to refill the bowl several times throughout the meal and even more so when she later called me for the recipe!
- 1 14 oz bag purple shredded cabbage
- 1 14 oz bag coleslaw mix
- 6 scallions, diced
- ½ cup roasted nuts
- Handful of thin chow mein noodles (we used La Choy brand, sold in a can)
- ¼ cup sugar or sugar subsitute
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a bowl, toss together all salad ingredients.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Toss with salad and serve.