Add the always-popular poppyseed dressing and this skirt steak & mango salad is a guaranteed hit
In my Fresh and Easy cookbook, I shared one of my most popular chicken salads called the Duo Chicken Salad, complete with its poppyseed dressing. When my sister-in-law Devorah told me she had a new skirt steak & mango salad that used the poppy seed dressing, I was like, “I’m totally making it.” Everyone loves that dressing and it’s always nice to have a new salad to go with it!
Skirt Steak & Mango Salad You can include any quick grilling meat in this salad, including London broil. I didn’t include an quantity of steak as the meat can be stretched and you can include as little or as much as you want.
- Skirt steak
- Black pepper, for sprinkling
- 1 (5 ounce) bag mixed or spring greens
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- Mango, diced or sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- walnuts, optional
- ½ cup sugar or splenda
- 3 tablespoons chopped white onion
- ⅓ tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup oil
- 1-2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Make Ahead: Prepare the dressing. Using a stick blender, blend sugar, onion, vinegar, salt and mustard. Gradually add oil until it's mixed in thoroughly. Add in poppy seeds. Refrigerate. If you are serving this in a large bowl as a salad in the middle of the table, you don’t need more than half the dressing.
- Soak the skirt steak in water for 10 minutes. Pat dry, then pound thin and season with black pepper only. Grease and heat a grill pan until hot. Add steak and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Let rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain. Place in a container and refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Before serving, toss all salad ingredients together. For individual appetizer servings, you can plate as shown in the photo.