Fleshigs Magazine Editor-in-Chief Shifra Klein gives popular arayes an American twist
By Shifra Klein
Use code BCP to get 25% off newsstand rates (only $49.50 for the year) of Fleishigs Magazine at www.fleishigs.com
This is my American spin on arayes, Middle Eastern stuffed meat pitas. I replaced the Middle Eastern flavors of herbs and cumin with beef fry and barbecue sauce to create a fantastic grilled treat that will impress family and friends.
- 2 (4-ounce) packages of beef fry
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-4 pitas
- Green goddess dressing for serving
- Set a large frying pan over medium-high heat and immediately add the beef fry. Let cook 5 minutes per side, until fat is rendered and the beef fry gets crisp. Remove from pan, let cool and then finely chop. Reserve remaining fat.
- Combine the chopped beef fry, ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, barbecue sauce, garlic powder, black pepper and salt together.
- Slice pitas in half and gently stuff meat mixture inside, making sure not to rip the pita bread.
- Brush reserved beef fry fat (or oil) over the pita and exposed beef and grill over medium heat for 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve hot with green goddess dressing.
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach (or watercress)
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Up to 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Blend ingredients together until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Store, covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.