Easy to make and to reheat, these potatoes might just be the ultimate Shabbos comfort food.
Since the very beginning of my cooking days, these potatoes have had their spot on the Shabbos menu. I don’t make it every week, but when I do, everyone is happy. And I never make just what I need for the one meal, because some will always disappear on Friday and the leftovers are always popular on Sunday. So go ahead and make the whole 5 lb bag of potatoes!
- 5 lbs red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into approximately 1-2” cubes
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or the dried herb of your choice)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until lightly browned. Add potato cubes and seasonings. Mix well and cover the pot.
- Every 10 minutes or so, mix the potatoes well, making sure to scrape up the bottom layer. When the potatoes are fork tender, they’re ready. But you want to let the bottom layer caramelize a bit longer than that. Keep your eye on it and don’t let it burn, but the browned part at the bottom is the best part!
FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES, MAKE SURE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP STATUS HERE.