You’ve come home from the grocery with cut butternut squash and you need to an easy soup recipe…now!
Do you also buy cut butternut squash and then scramble to find what should be an easy recipe for soup? And then you try the one that looks simplest, and it’s delicious, but then you can’t remember which recipe you made and then repeat the exercise every time? No? It’s just me?
Well, I finally decided to figure it out once and for all – and I wrote it all up so I don’t forget for next time.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds butternut squash cubes
- 4 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 8 garlic cloves
- Water to cover
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoons black pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a large stockpot, saute the diced onion in the olive oil. When translucent, add the squash, sweet potatoes, and garlic.
- Cook on a medium-low flame, stirring every few minutes, until soft. Add water to cover all the vegetables and then add the beef broth. Add all the spices and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
You’ve also got to try this tomato soup with dumplings!