Warning: These Cheese Babka Buns are too incredibly delicious. You’ll be dreaming about them long after Shavuos is over.
When we originally printed this recipe in Dairy Made Easy, it had about half the filling. I like cheese babka with way more filling, so I doubled the filling (even though I don’t use all of it). It makes for much messier cheese buns, but waaaayyy more delicious!
Want to keep your counters perfectly clean while you roll your babkas? See our babka hack in this post.
Roll each piece of dough into a 10 x 17-inch rectangle.
Smear ⅓ of the filling over each piece of dough.
Roll up, jelly-roll style.
Pull back as you roll to ensure the roll is tight and thin.
Slice roll into 12 pieces.
Place each piece into a mini cheesecake or muffin pan.
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (2 ½ sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 (8-ounce) containers whipped cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 (3.5 ounce) white chocolate bar
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine warm milk, yeast, and sugar. Add flour, salt, orange juice, vanilla, butter, eggs, and yolks. Knead until smooth. Let dough rest 1 hour. It will not rise a lot.
- Prepare the filling. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Melt white chocolate over a double boiler. Immediately add to cream cheese mixture and stir until smooth.
- Prepare the streusel. In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and flour. Using your fingers, knead until crumbs form.
- Divide dough into 3. Roll each piece into a 10 x 17-inch rectangle. Smear ⅓ of the filling over each piece of dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Pull back as you roll to ensure the roll is tight and thin.
- Slice roll into 12 pieces. Place each piece into a mini cheesecake or muffin pan. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and dust with confectioners’ sugar.