Change up your slaw with this fun, spicy twist on coleslaw from Kim Kushner’s newest book The Modern Table.
Editor’s Note: We shared Kim’s 15 Minute Herb Crusted Fish…and we thought what better to pair it with than a new, fresh slaw? This slaw, from Kim’s new book, The Modern Table, is such a nice change from the typical overly sweet versions! If you have a family that loves a little kick, we know they’ll love to crunch on this creative, refreshing version.
Can you handle the heat? I LOVE spicy food—and funny enough, all my favorite people in this world love spicy food too. Coincidence? A little heat and a hint of crunch perk up this hearty salad—it’s a blast of flavor and texture with every mouthful.
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil such as avocado oil, vegetable oil, or rice bran oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ¼ cup crushed roasted salted cashews
- 1 Tbsp roasted salted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, combine cabbages, vinegar, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss to combine. Set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili flakes, cashews, and seeds and sauté for 5 minutes, until golden. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, then stir in sesame oil.
- Scatter cilantro over the cabbage. Drizzle with chili oil and toss well. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Modern Table: Kosher Recipes for Everyday Gatherings by Kim Kushner. Photography by Kate Sears. Copyright © 2022 by Kim Kushner. Excerpted with permission from Figure 1 Publishing. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES, MAKE SURE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP STATUS HERE. JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP AND WE’LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN A NEW POST IS UP!
This recipe looks really nice! You need to correct the name for the recipe. Also, can you advise how to print your recipes without losing the photo as it prints?