It works in both dairy and meat versions. It takes a total of 20 minutes to prep. And it really pleases the crowd.
Need a dish to bring to a party and not in the mood of making something complicated? How about a dinner that takes 20 minutes to prepare and pleases pretty much everyone? Dairy? Meat?
This pasta salad will take care of all of the above. And 20ish minutes is all it takes to make enough even for a crowd.
Start by putting up a pot of pasta in the shape of your choice. This works with any shape, but a larger chunkier one will make it prettier to serve. While that’s cooking, you’ll prepare the dressing in a bowl large enough to toss all the pasta you’re making. The measurements listed are for one box of pasta, but just multiply as needed. Slice (or just use pre-sliced) the olives and sun-dried tomatoes and add to the dressing.
If you are making the fleishig version (and this is one of the most popular dinners in my house), prepare the chicken while the pasta is still boiling. If you’re making a large amount, use two skillets to save time. Toss the chicken breast with the oil and seasonings and pan fry in a liberally sprayed skillet.
When the pasta is ready, drain and toss with dressing (after removing some of the plain pasta for the kid who won’t eat it any other way…) If you’re adding chicken, you can add it right away. If you’re adding feta cheese, wait a bit for the pasta to cool so you don’t melt all the cheese.
- 1 (1 pound) box pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (adjust according your preference of heat level)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I prefer McCormick brand)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives (black or green olives might work better for kids)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining pasta ingredients, from olive oil through sun-dried tomatoes.
- If prepare the meat version, toss chicken with olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Liberally spray a saute pan and cook chicken, about 3 minutes per side (depending on the size of your pieces).
- Drain pasta and toss with chicken, if preparing the meat version, or wait a few minutes and toss with feta if you’re preparing the dairy version.