Persimmon season is short but oh so sweet!
The best Costco trip of the year is usually the one when I find the persimmons are back in season. Sometimes they’re in 6 packs and sometimes in 9 packs, but I never hesitate to grab a couple of trays.
While we usually just eat the persimmons in fresh slices, I decided to create a salad using some of the 18 persimmons that were in my fridge. I played around with a little bit of this and a little bit of that and this crazy good salad was born!
- 4-6 oz greens (choose something substantial to balance the sweet fruit, like baby spinach or arugula)
- 1 gala apple (or other sweet/tart variety), diced
- 2 persimmons, peeled and diced
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potato
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼-½ cup candied pecans
- ¼-½ cup feta cheese, cut in small cubes
- 6 Tbsp lite mayonnaise
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch coarse black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp water, optional
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Peel and cut sweet potatoes in small cubes. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper and toss. Bake for 30-35 minutes until fork tender and lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Blend together mayo, shallot, garlic, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the optional water if you desire a thinner consistency or you need it to get the blender moving.
- In a bowl, combine greens, apples, persimmons and sweet potato cubes. Top with nuts and feta. Drizzle with dressing (you may not need all) and enjoy.