Layers and layers of flavor make this dish a special way to start a meal. Definitely guest worthy.
Eggplants, like cauliflower, are having a serious comeback thanks to a renewed appreciation to the Mediterranean diet. But, this eggplant is a bit different.
Trust us. You will wow your guests.
* Note: This recipe has no real amounts. It’s just a liberal drizzle of this and that. Go with it.
Some sweet sauce and seasoning
- 1 eggplant
- Olive oil
- Ready babaganoush
- Sweet sauce (You can make your own, see this post)
- Montreal steak seasoning
- Finishing salt (like Maldon)
- Crushed pistachios
- Start by wrapping the eggplant well in heavy duty silver foil. Set it on your gas range over a small open flame and let it char. Turn it from side to side to all sides, from time to time. Usually, you will smell when it needs turning. You can do this step on an outdoor grill as well if you wish. This will take approximately anywhere between 30-45 minutes.
- Now, once that’s done, carefully remove the silver foil and cut the eggplant in half.
- Drizzle a frying pan with olive oil and heat over high heat. Place the eggplant in a frying pan, cut side down, and sear until charred a bit more, 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a large platter, skin side down. Smear the eggplant with babaganoush (store bought is totally fine), drizzle with techina, sweet sauce, and a healthy dose of olive oil. Season with Montreal steak seasoning.
- Top with crushed pistachios and Maldon sea salt.
- Serve with challah and watch everyone dig in with gusto. Collect compliments.
FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES, MAKE SURE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP STATUS HERE.