This version of roasted veggies is super easy to prep, unexpectedly delicious, and you can make a large quantity in little time. Who ever thought such simple ingredients could have such amazing results?
I used to call these potatoes, “Newlywed Potatoes” because they’re what I used to make when I first got married. Recently, I began using this technique for other roasted veggies, including zucchini, eggplant, and sweet potatoes. It’s easy to do, takes minimal slicing, and it’s an easy way to serve a side dish to a large crowd (plus they’re really delicious!).
Note – If you’re using disposables, the baking will take much longer. Use real baking sheets for best results.
Before beginning, slice all your veggies in half vertically. If using zucchini and eggplant, it’s best to look for small eggplants and large zucchini so they’ll bake more evenly when on the same baking sheet. Potatoes and sweet potatoes (choose smaller ones) take longer to bake so it’s best to place them on a separate sheet.
Pour oil into the center of your lined sheet pan. Your potatoes will need much more oil than the other vegetables.
Sprinkle oil with a lot of paprika for color and salt.
Dip the potatoes into the oil/spice mixture, then slide them to their spot on the baking sheet (without picking them up, you want to bring the oil/spices along with them). Bake the potatoes until they prick easily with a fork and are crispy on the bottom, about 90 minutes.
To prepare the other veggies, pour oil in the middle, but you can use much less than with the potatoes. Season oil with garlic, paprika, salt, black pepper…whatever you use on Pesach. During the year, I also include cumin and turmeric here.
Use the same dipping and sliding technique as with the potatoes, until all your veggies are on the pan. Bake for about 1 hour, until golden and crispy on the bottom.
- Potatoes, halved lengthwise
- Salt and paprika, for sprinkling
- Eggplant, halved lengthwise
- Zucchini, halved lengthwise
- Salt, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper, for sprinkling
- Small sweet potatoes (now shown), halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
- Pour oil liberally into the center of a lined sheet pan. Sprinkle liberally with paprika and salt.
- Dip each potato half into oil mixture, then slide each potato to its spot on the baking sheet. Bake for about 90 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and crispy on the bottom.
- To prepare the zucchini and eggplant, pour oil, although less than used with the potatoes, into the center of the baking sheet. Sprinkle oil with salt, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Dip each veggie half into oil mixture, then slide each veggie to its spot on the baking sheet. Bake for about 1 hour, until tender and crispy on the bottom.