If I knew this restaurant salad was so easy to recreate, I wouldn’t have waited so long to enjoy it again!
Years ago, I ordered a salad at one Miami restaurant. This is what I remember: it had these hot, oozing cheese-stuffed mushrooms that were so good; every bite was delicious.
But there were a few problems with the salad.
- There weren’t enough mushrooms.
- The dressing was eh so the rest of the greens had no flavor. The only worthwhile bites were those mushrooms.
- There was nothing else in the salad. But I really didn’t need the missing cucumbers or tomatoes. All I really wanted was more mushroom.
At the time, I always thought I’d go home and duplicate this salad. But I never did.
Until this week when I remembered that salad and got in the mood. And it’s even better now than I remember.
- 5 oz greens
- 12-16 oz baby bella mushrooms, stems removed
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Pinch black pepper
- 4-6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- Store-bought balsamic dressing (such as Vegitoss) or make the balsamic dressing featured here.
- Do Ahead: In the Ziploc bag, combine mushrooms with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and spices. Marinate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Before serving, pour the contents of the Ziploc bag into a baking pan. Turn mushrooms so the cavity is facing up. Slice mozzarella and place a piece of cheese inside the cavity of each mushroom (it should be big enough to fill up the entire mushroom).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked and cheese is melted.
- Serve mushrooms on top of greens and drizzle with balsamic dressing when serving.