Sometimes, when life slows down (like in the 9 days), baking is the perfect medicine.
Baking is something we all tend to do these days, whether to pass time, to fill up that freezer, because it’s hot out and we want to stay away from the sun, or, because we need something yummy for breaking the fast on Tisha B’Av.
There are many different types of baking though. Let’s divide it in sections, so you can pick what works for you with ease.
THE EASY 1-2-3 NO MESS, CLEAN KITCHEN BAKING:
“Mommy, I’m bored!! Can I bake something????” If this sentence gives you hives, stop right there. Between Carpools 9×13 baking recipes were created to avoid JUST THAT.
The 9×13 Life:
- Chocolate Chip Sticks. The classic recipe that can be prepared by your 8-year-old without help (besides for the oven part) while you nap on the couch. This was tested countless times. The part about you sleeping and the kids baking, that is. And has become a family favorite.
- Dairy Cookie Bars. Yummy and decadent, cannot-get-enough-of-it-type, yet super easy to make. (the easiest thing you’ll make for Shavuos)
- Lotus Blondies. Outrageous and another winner that takes no time to pull together and everyone loves.
- Muddy Buddies without the mess. The perfect treat to keep kids busy (while preparing it) and happy (while munching on it).
- Back of the Box Recipes. The best cookies (our top 7) of all time, all here. So good, they made it to the back of the box, if you know what we mean.
THE STILL EASY, BUT NOT 9X13 LIFE KINDA EASY:
- Dairy Bundt Cake. Love this cake so much… it’s always a family favorite and simple but so so good.
- Hot Pretzels. Kids love this type of activity. And, eating it after.
- Or, Cheesy Garlic Knots! Another favorite even the kids can make.
COOKIES AND SUCH:
- Sugar Cookies. Rainy days call for sugar cookies and cookie decorating. Here is our classic recipe, our best one. And while you are having fun with that, why not use some of the sugar cookie dough to prepare some of these showstoppers for Yom Tov:
- Strawberry Cream Dessert.
- The Cutest Square Cookies. (+ they’re egg-free) Most probably the easiest cookie, but still not compromising on taste.
- Classic Chocolate Cheese Muffin. One of those things that are great to serve with coffee. They defrost quickly and are pretty to serve.
- Honey Cookies. Prepare these now and have them in the freezer for Rosh Hashana.
- Babka Buns. Creamiest and Cheesiest. Another great stock up.
- Candy Bar Cookies. These cookies are fun to prepare and so so good… The surprise in the middle is a mini chocolate bar.
- Soft Cookies. Want something hot and freshly “baked” and yummy but have no energy or time to actually bake? Try this hack!
STOCKING UP THE FREEZER FOR THE UPCOMING YOMIM TOVIM
Think crumbs for desserts, galettes ready to bake, compote….
(GULP! WE DIDN’T THINK ABOUT THIS YET OURSELVES):
- Honey Cake. Yes, we said yomim tovim, but mostly because many working women have less hours during the 9 days… So yes, start with this fabulous honey cake.
- Apple Cobbler Cinnamon Bun Pie. This is the type of thing you want to have in your freezer come Yom Tov. Or, always. A real treat. Either the whole thing or just the buns, ready to place on freshly sliced apples.
- Crumbs. What do you have in the freezer for yom tov? Oh, just some crumbs. If you have crumbs in your freezer, you’re halfway there.
- And, compote. Try our new one and this one for the coulis, which pairs with the crumbs above.
- Our Go-To Challah. A post about all the different challah recipes we like. Let’s not forget the challos, because, yom tov, and you will need soooo many challos.
- Round Challah Tutorial. And our tutorial on how to make the easiest round challos.
THE PROJECTS, THE ONES WE DO WHILE FASTING BECAUSE WE HAVE ALL THE TIME:
- Dairy Cinnamon Buns. With cream cheese frosting. These are incredible. Worth it. Trust us. Also, it feels like half of BCP followers bake these every Tisha B’Av.
- Babka Buns. These babka buns are always a hit.
- Ways to Roll Your Babka. While on the topic of babka, check out the 8 ways to roll your babka for a different look.
FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES, MAKE SURE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP STATUS HERE.